The student news site of Battle High School

The Spearhead

Saving Border Policies

A promotional poster of DACA (Informationpress.net).

Sandra Medina, Writer

The Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, also known as the DACA Program, that former President Obama signed in 2012, will soon be canceled now under Trump’s presidency. DACA is a program run by the federal government that gives “dreamers” (children who were brought to the U.S illegally by their parents) documentation so that they can legally get jobs, buy properties and so on.
Many people are going to protests against the decision to cancel DACA; there was even a protest in Columbia on Sunday, September 10 with over 200 people present. A lot of people would like to see DACA continue because over the last few years the program has helped nearly 790,000 dreamers.
DACA certainly has a positive impact on the lives of individuals, but some see the program in a negative way. Some believe that the DACA program is rewarding illegal immigration. They believe that if the DACA program keeps going, it will impact our borders and invite more people to immigrate illegally.
I believe that if we do have a program like DACA it should be focused on children under 18. Don’t get me wrong, DACA can be beneficial to an extent, but if we were to have a program like DACA it should be focused on the actual children instead of adults. Currently, anyone under the age of 31 is able to apply for DACA. After the age of 18, immigrants are allowed to apply for the U.S. Naturalization Test. Once children who are helped by DACA reach the age of 18, they should all apply for the naturalization test. Everyone is given two tries for the citizenship test and test takers are even supplied a “study guide” to help pass the test.
In the six month extension period, I believe that Congress needs to start another federal program that would help immigrant children that are under 18. Then once they do turn 18, give them the chance to take the naturalization test. In doing so, not as many tax dollars would be spent and actual “dreamers” would be given the right to study, work, and just live like any other young adult in America.